Thursday, April 16, 2009

I just discovered that I may be a right-wing exremist!

A few days ago, I heard on the radio that the Department of Homeland Security had released a new report on the emergent and potential dangers of Right Wing Extremists. I listened as excerpts from the report were read on the air, expecting to hear about unhinged and angry white supremecists hoarding weapons and making plans to blow up the whitehouse (or some other, more accessible target).

Instead, I heard a description of a person who sounded a lot like me. Now, I am not one to take to heart every little thing I hear on the radio (or read in the newspaper or on the internet for that matter). So, at the first opportunity, I downloaded a copy of the Department of Homeland Security's Intelligence and Analysis report.

According to page two of the I & A report:

* (U) Rightwing extremism in the United States can be broadly divided into those groups, movements, and adherents that are primarily hate-oriented (based on hatred of particular religious, racial or ethnic groups), and those that are mainly antigovernment, rejecting federal authority in favor of state or local authority, or rejecting government authority entirely. It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a single issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration.

Okay - so my opposition to the killing of unborn babies, my concern that our borders be more secure and the fact that I believe that local and state governing bodies are best equipped to respond to the needs of their constituents might mean I'm a right-wing extremist?

Gee. I never knew I had such potential to undermine the authority of our Federal Government.

Well, it's time to call the kids in for school (yes, we homeschool). Or perhaps I'm simply indoctrinating them to be the next generation of dangerous Christians, spreading their extreme right-wing views across the land!

3 comments:

  1. I can see I'm gonna love this already! My blogs are
    http://momof6-lifeintheday.blogspot.com
    and
    http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/lifeintheday/

    Be warned, my last several posts in the first one are sadly my reflections on losing Abigail. My SIL Lorraine sends me emails saying that she can't read them because they make her too sad. I find writing them cathartic, and I am nearly done with that whole series of posts now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read that description though, I don't think of you or any other impassioned or activist people I know...I think of folks like Eric Robert Rudolph... or Fred Phelp's church.. which also incorporates a whole lotta hate into their "teachings".

    ReplyDelete